Friday, December 2, 2011

Towards zero HIV infection with male circumcision

Picture yourself relaxing with a partner in some confined place. You only prepared for some nice time to relax. But you find emotions getting the better of you. Regardless of not knowing the partner’s sero-status, you have unprotected sex.

You are a man and you are not circumcised. Do you know that within a short period of you reflecting on the experience or seeing off the partner the Human Immuno-Deficiency Virus (HIV), the virus that causes the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (Aids), would get into your blood system?

According to a 2008 report, Male circumcision and risk for HIV transmission and other health conditions, which quotes several other pieces of research findings and published on the United States (US) based Centre for Disease Control (CDC) website, the foreskin provides conditions favouring the development.

“Compared with the dry external skin surface, the inner mucosa of the foreskin has less keratinisation (deposition of fibrous protein),” reads the report, quoting a 2004 report titled Neonatal circumcision: a review of the world’s oldest and most controversial operation.

“The foreskin has a higher density of target cells for HIV infection (Langerhans cells) and is more susceptible to HIV infection than other penile tissue in laboratory studies.”

In its posting on December 20, 2005, the journal Science Daily website states that researchers at Yale School of Medicine demonstrated that, contrary to what was thought that they alert the immune system about invasion by pathogens, Langerhans cells dampen the skin’s reaction to infection and inflammation.

Thus, engaging in unprotected sex with an HIV positive partner renders an uncircumcised male vulnerable to HIV infection. Fatima Zulu, Project Coordinator for Johns Hopkins at the Malawi College of Medicine, says an uncircumcised male has the ground prepared for contracting the HIV even before penetration.

“When a man who is not circumcised experiences an erection, the tip of the foreskin stretches. That leads to cracks in the foreskin which create a highway for such a man to contract the virus,” says Zulu.

“That aside, there is a belief by most men across Africa that they are real men if they ejaculate faster. Ejaculating faster mostly goes with dry sex, and dry sex is dangerous for an uncircumcised man.”

She says with the less keratin deposits within it, the foreskin stands higher chances of suffering abrasions during dry sex. Consequently, she adds, the man with such a condition has greater chances of contracting the virus as the foreskin provides a portal of entries.

The report further states that with the foreskin on, the sac between the unretracted foreskin and the glands penis provides a conducive environment for the survival of pathogens, including HIV.

“Viruses often survive in a moisturised environment as a result they stay alive longer,” adds Zulu. “Unfortunately, the longer one keeps the viruses under their foreskin, the more they give out chances for the virus to penetrate into their body.”

She says that all this would never be the case to men who underwent male circumcision, which is defined in the report as the surgical removal of some or all of the foreskin from the penis. But can that bring down the HIV infection rate?

According to the report on the CDC website, several research findings have pointed to circumcision as an effective way of taming the spread of the HIV.

“In these studies, men who had been randomly assigned to the circumcision group had a 60 percent (South Africa), 53 percent (Kenya) and 51 percent (Uganda) lower incidence of HIV infection compared with men assigned to the wait-list group to be circumcised at the end of the study,” adds the report.

“In all [the] three studies, a few men who had been assigned to be circumcised did not undergo the procedure, and vice versa. When the data were reanalysed to account for these occurrences, men who had been circumcised had a 76 percent (South Africa), 60 percent (Kenya) and 55 percent (Uganda) reduction in risk for HIV infection compared with those who were not circumcised.”

Unfortunately, the reduction in the infection trend is one way. Zulu says that circumcision only reduces chances of a circumcised man contracting the virus from an HIV positive woman.

“This means that if a man is HIV positive and is circumcised, he will still pass on the virus to a woman who is HIV negative,” she says.

However, the situation should still count as an effective measure of halting the spread of the HIV considering what society holds culturally. It is considered normal for a man to have many women but not vice versa.

This is what has led to several civil rights activists to blame the man for the devastating rate at which the virus has spread. Many say the man gets the virus from other women and dumps it in his own.

Going by such arguments, a man who underwent male circumcision should stand fewer chances of getting the virus from outside his marital confines and dumping it within them.

“But circumcision should not be cause for being promiscuous,” warns Dr Mary Shawa, Principal Secretary in the Office of the President and Cabinet (OPC) responsible for Nutrition and HIV/Aids.

“Research findings indicate that circumcision only reduces chances of contracting the virus by 60 percent. There are 40 percent chances for a man who underwent male circumcision to contract the virus.

“This is why we encourage the usual means of preventing contraction of HIV; namely abstinence, being faithful and using a condom even to those who underwent male circumcision.”

While research findings have backed male circumcision to reduce chances of one contracting the virus, Zulu says there is need for related research to establish whether male circumcision can lead to reduced infections by way of satisfying the woman sexually so she does not increase her chances of getting the virus by seeking such satisfaction elsewhere as some circumcised men have claimed.

13 comments:

  1. Good day My Name is Mary Robert i am her to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV and cure my friend the disease called ALS by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been surfering HIV/ALS from 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact him on whatsapp +2347038965900

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello everyone out there,Do you know that there is a great Herbal doctor who can cure any deadly disease? Like Cancer, Hiv, syphilis, diabetes, herpes madness, low spam count And also bring back your Lover e.t.c. Well my main reason why i am writing this right now is to inform the whole world about the great deeds, Dr.Ebosa did for me. I was diagnosed of this deadly disease in the year 2007 ever since then i was taking my medications, until i met the great herbal doctor, though i never believed in herbal med. I saw many testimonies on how a great herbal doctor cured their deadly diseases. I contacted him through his phone number. I called him, he asked me to send him my email, which i did. He gave me a form to fill, I filled it and send it back to him. He told me that he required some items in which he will use in preparing the herbal medicine for me. I don't know where to find the items he required. He told me that the only alternative is for me to send him the money, then he can help me to purchase the items from the items sellers. I promised myself to do anything to get cured. I sent him the money. He bought the items and he prepared the herbal medicine and send to me through courier service delivery and i make use of it as he instructed. few weeks later he asked me to go for check-up, when i did the check-up i was tested HIV Negative. If you are passing through hardship and you need a way out, kindly contact him via his email on ebosaherbalremedy@hotmail.com or http://ebosaherbalremedy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Jennifer Alexander From USA texas, Dr OJUGO is the only Dr who
      could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried
      almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease,
      despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy HIV drugs
      from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve,until
      one day i was just browsing on the internet when I come across a great
      post of !Nicole! who truly said that she was been diagnose with
      HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great
      powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people
      called him Dr OJUGO, i never knew it was all because of the great and
      perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i
      quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a
      thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is always
      getting his or her healing in just three weeks after doing all he ask
      you,so I was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so I did all
      things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed,
      all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very
      strong and healthy, this disease almost take my life,so i want to
      hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am
      HIV negative,I am every amazed and happy about the healing Dr OJUGO
      gave to me from the help of his ancient herbs . you can contact Dr
      OJUGO at his email and process your own healing too at:
      (dr.ojugospellhome@gmail.com) his phone number +2349055637445 thanks

      Delete
  3. My HIV virus that was cured by a great herbal medicine man. Since last 7 months i was having these virus. last 5 weeks I was in a great pain so I told one of my friends about it he told me that there is a great herbal medicine man that can cure HIV and so many diseases and he also help people in getting pregnant and bringing back EX. I asked her if she had the contact so i could give it a try, she gave me the email drosasherbalhom@gmail.com , I emailed him he talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after few weeks I should go for a test. Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now HIV negative I couldn't believe myself I went to see another doctor the result was still the same i couldn't keep this to myself so i decided to let it out on this page that if anyone one here need help in curing his/her HIV virus or trying to conceive should also give this a try once again you can email him drosasherbalhome@gmail.com or call his mobile number +2349035428122

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER BELIEVE ON SPELL CASTER BEFORE NOT UNTIL L I MET WITH THIS GREAT SPELL CASTER CALLED (dr Hazzan) HE IS REALLY POWERFUL AND HE IS SPECIALIZED ON A SPELL TO BRING BACK LOVE’S ONE,LOST, HE CAN ALSO MAKE SOME ONE TO LOVE YOU OR SPELL FOR A GOOD JOB. I AM NOW HAPPY AND A LIVING TESTIMONY BECAUSE THE MAN I WANTED TO MARRY LEFT ME 3 WEEK S BEFORE OUR WEDDING AND MY LIFE WAS UPSIDE DOWN COS OUR-RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN ON FOR 3 YEARS…..I REALLY LOVE HIM, AND I CANNOT DO WITHOUT HIM..BUT ALL HIS RELATIONS WAS AGAINST OUR FRIENDSHIP INCLUDING HIS MOTHER AND HE HAD NO GOOD PAYING JOB…..SO WHEN I MET WITH THE SPELL CASTER I TOLD HIM ALL THAT HAS HAPPEN TO ME…AT THE FIRST STAGE I WAS UNDECIDED, SKEPTICAL AND DOUBTFUL, BUT I JUST GIVE IT A TRY….AND IN 7 DAYS MY BOYFRIEND (NOW MY HUSBAND) CALLED ME BY HIMSELF AND CAME TO ME APOLOGIZING THAT EVERYTHING HAD BEEN SETTLED WITH HIS MOM AND FAMILY…THAT IS HOW WE GOT MARRIED AND HAPPILY TOGETHER NOW…YOU CAN CONTACT THIS SPELL CASTER ON HIS EMAIL him on dr.hazzanherbalcentre@gmail.com or call him on +2348169340571

    ReplyDelete

  5. Dr. Osas herbal medicine is a good remedy for Herpes, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Osas cure Herpes, I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Osas herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Osas, reach him on doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com Or contact his number via +2348112252378

    DOCTOR OSAS CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER ALL KINDS
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis A,B,C
    6. Diabetes
    7. CHRONIC DISEASE
    8. Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)

    ReplyDelete

  6. Dr. Osas herbal medicine is a good remedy for Herpes, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Osas cure Herpes, I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Osas herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Osas, reach him on doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com Or contact his number via +2348112252378

    DOCTOR OSAS CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER ALL KINDS
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis A,B,C
    6. Diabetes
    7. CHRONIC DISEASE
    8. Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day everyone my name is tina joyce from U.S.A, I have this great opportunity to share this testimony about how I get cure for my HIV,three years ago I was HIV positive so I was suffering from it I was doing one thing or the order to get a cure there was know way for it so I was on my research on the internet I saw a testimony of a young man, about how dr.bello help him get a cured for HIV with his herbal medicine I was surprise and I do not believe I said okay let me try him I contact him on his email address and he gave me instructions and I follow it he told me what to do and I did it, after a week he sent to me the medicine true DHL he told me how to use it and I did exactly how he instructed me to use it, after two weeks he told me that I should go for test, indeed I did it, and behold I was HIV "negative" am so grateful Doctor, now am happy with my Husband and two kids I want to use this opportunity to say this, please if you have this kind of disease called HIV, I want you to contact him on is email; bellospelltemple@gmail.com or call him on +2348147271779 and he can also help you get a cure for HPV, HERPES, CANCER,disease and he can cure you from any kind of diseases with his herbal medicine. all you have to do is to believe him. thank you my Dr may god bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    my name is Tanya Albert from England, I want to thank Dr Ekpiku for helping me Getting Rid of my HIV VIRUS. I was Diagnosed of this Virus for 3 years but after the Usage of Dr Ekpiku Herbal Medicine, I was Cured and up till now, The Symptoms of the HIV Virus is completely Gone.. So anyone who wants to reach Dr Ekpiku should do that by emailing him ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com or call him +2348073673757.God we Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  9. MY HUSBAND WAS CURED OF LIVER CANCER WITH CANNABIS OIL TREATMENT BY RICK SIMPSON:ricksimpsoncureoil@gmail.com

    My name is Victoria Mugasin DAV from DUBLIN IRELAND and my husband was diagnosed of liver cancer,He was even given 4 months to live.The family was living in hell with sorrows and pains in our hearts, but today i am shouting out to the world that the cannabis oil have save my husband from dying.This cannabis oil was supplied to us with prescription on how to use it for the treatment of cancer.He is still alive and free from cancer and we are in the 11th month now.Joy have been restored to my family, if any one is here that is facing same problem or that is having any type of cancer or any other type of diseases i will advice he or she to contact Mr Rick simpson on his email:(ricksimpsoncureoil@gmail.com) he is always at your service, God bless you all i wish you all the best in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all ALS VIRUS patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for ALS VIRUS or any cure for ALS VIRUS,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how DR WAFE prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the ALS VIRUS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email: DRWAFESOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM his contact number is +2348158836717

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am deeply thankful for the miraculous work of Dr Akhigbe i a was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Human papilloma virus (HPV) I though about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the Internet I found Dr Akhigbe Email address:akhigbespellhome@gmail.com on a testimony on how he has helped a lady to cure her Human papilloma virus so i contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr Akhigbe and very happy with my husband and family. email him on him today or You can also call or WhatSAP him on:+2349035428122 DOCTOR Akhigbe CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE: HERPES HSV 1 & HSV 2 ASTHMA DIABETES EPILEPSY *CANCER INFERTILITY STAPHYLOCOCCUS. ALS HIV /AIDS HEPATITIS B Contact him right now for your problems to be solve via his email akhigbespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everybody here me out and please help me thank Dr bello for his good work I really believe HIV has no cure I was HIV positive over since 4 year plus before I come across a comment about Dr bello that he have cure to any disease and virus but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure HIV I just decided to give a try I contact him that night luckily to me he said yes but I don’t believe him I think it was a scam or some thing like that but I still hold on to see the work of Dr bello if he is saying the true, he ask for different thing and some question about me I give him all the details he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem. After all the things is done he ask me to go for check up I went for HIV test I cant believe i became HIV negative thanks to Dr bello for helping me cure my disease. if you need help of any kind you can contact him on this mail bellospelltemple@gmail.com,or whatsapp number +2348147271779 he will help you because he help me

    ReplyDelete